Updated July 2, 2020
When it comes to large-scale civil construction in Northern Colorado, you want to know that your project is in experienced and professional hands. The right civil construction company can create a timeless building that serves the community and comes together on schedule and budget, while other companies might make big promises but fail to deliver. The difference between the two is experience and professionalism. NG Civil has years of experience and a proven track record of completed projects across Northern Colorado. As a turn-key civil contractor, we complete the highest quality work on time.
Our civil construction work focuses on the commercial and municipal industries and includes the following services:
Before a new project can officially begin, the old buildings must be cleared out. Quality demolition is done safely to not only protect the people and neighboring buildings but also maintain the environment and land so that the next project can begin quickly. Our experienced demolition teams know how to clear large areas and do it well.
Our services include removing foundation walls, especially of older buildings with unique foundation challenges. We can remove every piece of old buildings, even those constructed differently than modern practices. We also offer asphalt and concrete removal of walkways, roads, driveways, and more. Our team is also experienced in tree removal. Large roots and debris can be difficult to remove, but they can also set a project back significantly if they aren’t removed properly. Our team takes its time to ensure that every piece of the tree is removed safely, leaving you a clean slate for the civil construction project.
Starting a project on a clear and even surface makes all the difference in the longevity of a building. We use in-house excavation teams to offer unbeatable quality that doesn’t cut corners or kill your budget. Our excavation services include grading and over lot grading. For projects that are replacing old buildings, we offer foundation excavation to ensure the entire lot is cleared and ready for new construction. Our clearing and grubbing team can remove all debris from the area, which is then transported by our heavy haul and trucking services. With other construction companies, each aspect of excavation may need to be completed by a different team, but NG offers a coordinated effort to move your project along without having to work with numerous contractors.
Large-scale civil construction projects require specialized knowledge and experience, especially when it comes to utilities. The utility requirements for large commercial buildings are much different from what companies would experience on smaller-scale projects. With years of experience and numerous completed projects, our teams know the ins and outs of utilities, including working with local agencies to secure permits and follow safety and legal regulations.
Our services include installing sanitary and storm sewers, as well as tying the new building into water lines, fire hydrants, and fire lines. With our experienced utilities team, the project will be able to move forward and have all of the connections it needs for full use for a long time to come. Commercial and municipal buildings tend to put more strain on utilities than smaller projects, but our professional team understands the unique challenges and can provide the best quality possible to meet the needs. It’s just one benefit of using a company experienced in large-scale civil construction projects.
Large-scale civil construction projects, especially in the commercial and municipal industries, bring unique challenges and opportunities. A professional and experienced civil construction company like NG understands what it takes to successfully complete every step of the project and has a proven track record of well-constructed buildings. Our in-house teams help the entire construction process move much more smoothly. We can complete the highest quality work on time. When it comes to civil construction in Northern Colorado, trust NG Companies as the best choice.
Does hiring NG Companies makes sense for your large scale project?
5 Things to Look for in a Civil Construction Company
Choosing a company for a large-scale construction project is a big decision. After all, the company you choose will not only dictate the success of the building but can also impact your budget and schedule for the foreseeable future. There are many options for building construction in Northern Colorado, but here are five things to look for in a civil construction company.
- Experience with large projects. Civil construction companies aren’t like homeowner construction companies. These companies work on large-scale projects that impact the entire community for years to come, not just one family or neighborhood. Just because a construction company is good at working on small projects doesn’t mean it will be a great civil construction company. Look for a company that has experience in the field and knows the area. Working on a large project in Fort Collins or Greeley comes with challenges that construction companies based in other parts of Colorado or even other states won’t be able to understand. To be completely confident in your civil construction company, look for a company that has worked in the area for a long time and that has experienced team members.
- Proven Track Record. Look around at some of the best buildings in your community. In civil construction, the buildings should speak for themselves. You want a company with a proven track record of buildings and projects that stand the test of time and add to the community. Ask around for recommendations and get referrals from companies you are considering to see what projects they have worked on and how successful they have been. You want a company that gets the job done on time and follows the right processes and regulations. Companies with a great track record should be well known in the community because of their dedication to excellence.
- Experience in specific projects. Not all civil engineering is created equal. The field runs the gamut of types of projects, locations, and scope. Look for a company that specializes in your area or that has experience working on similar projects. This is especially important for highly detailed or difficult projects, such as those that require a lot of demolition or grading. If your project is in a sensitive ecosystem or requires significant utilities work, look for a building construction company that specializes in those areas. Similarly, if you are looking to build a water treatment plant, a school, or a community center, look for civil construction companies that have experience and specialize in those types of projects. Knowing the ins and outs of a certain type of construction can help your project go much more smoothly.
- Professional and well-managed. The quality of the build is only part of the equation; you also want a company that is professional and easy to work with. Look for companies that stay on schedule and stick to the budget. The best companies have strong organizational structures and processes in place to communicate with clients and provide regular updates about the project so that everyone stays on the same page. Look for companies with strong project management teams that can handle the logistics of the project. Civil construction projects tend to have a huge number of moving pieces, and it takes a specially trained team to be able to handle them and communicate progress professionally.
- Prioritizes safety. Hiring a company that prioritizes safety is incredibly important. Civil construction often requires large machinery and difficult terrain. That means a company that doesn’t train its employees well or doesn’t take safety seriously could end up in a big accident that not only hurts their own employees, but the local community members as well. Professional companies should follow established safety guidelines. Before you hire a company, ask about their safety record and what procedures they have in place. Accidents happen to even the most careful companies, but they should all have a plan in place of what to do if the worst-case scenario happens. Safety also relates to the local ecosystem and being safe with the land and natural habitat. Look for companies that know Northern Colorado and can be safe and careful with the local land and animals they may come in contact with during a project.
Take these five things into consideration when choosing a civil construction company. Doing your research beforehand to find a company that is experienced and professional will have lasting impacts on your project for years to come.
Top Questions to Ask When Hiring a Civil Construction Company
When you set out to create a new building, move the earth, or start a new construction project, the first step is to find the right civil construction company. Civil construction in Northern Colorado often involves moving land and working with natural resources, so you want to be confident you are hiring a company that understands your vision and can help you reach your goals. To make the best decision, do you research before signing the contract. Here are the top questions to ask when hiring a civil construction company.
1. What is your experience on this type of project?
Start by getting an idea of what kinds of projects the company typically works on. Do they specialize in a certain type of industry or construction? Are most of their projects in a certain geographic area or climate? Do they focus on large-scale projects or work on smaller projects? A civil construction company that has experience working on similar projects to yours will likely be familiar with the unique challenges and know what it takes to create a successful project that meets your goals and stays within budget. You can also ask about how long the company has been in business and what other projects they’ve worked on.
2. Do you have the proper accreditation and licenses?
Civil construction companies must have certain types of accreditation and licenses to work. The requirements vary based on where the company is located and the types of projects they work on. Hiring a company that isn’t accredited or licensed comes with huge risks and isn’t recommended. Having the proper paperwork shows that the company follows local regulations and is in accordance with current business and safety measures. You’ll also want to check that the company is insured and that it will cover any accidents that could happen on the job site.
3. What is your timeline?
Every construction project hits unexpected roadblocks, but the company should still be able to provide you a general estimate of how long the project will take. This is also your chance to ask about their availability. You might find a company you like that is busy with other projects and can’t get to your project for a few months. Make sure you and the company are on the same page about when the process can begin and how long it will take.
4. What is included in the cost?
Every civil construction company you talk to should give you a detailed bid about how much the project will cost. When you start to narrow down your options, make sure you know exactly what is included in that bid. Does it include the entire process, including labor and materials? Does it cover the cost of getting permits? Make sure you are completely clear on what is included so you can fairly compare bids and don’t get blindsided with an extra cost later.
5. What is your safety record?
With large machinery and dangerous situations, safety is crucial at all construction sites. Ask potential civil construction companies about their safety record, including how long it has been since their last accident and how many accidents have occurred in the lifetime of the company. You can also ask about the contingency plan of what would happen if an accident were to occur.
6. How do you communicate with clients?
Be clear from the beginning about how involved you want to be in the process and how to best communicate with the team. Some companies send updates to their clients every day with pictures and notes, while other companies are less frequent about their communication or wait to be contacted by the client. Match the communication style and frequency of the company with how often you want to be updated.
Asking these six questions for civil construction companies can help you get informed and make the best decision for your project. Hiring a civil construction company is one of the biggest decisions of the project, so take your time and ask plenty of questions.